Vision and Values for the International Federation
Our Fundamental Principles
Our actions are guided at all times by our fundamental principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
We strive, through voluntary action, for a world of empowered communities, better able to address human suffering and crises with hope, respect for dignity and a concern for equity.
To improve the lives of vulnerable people by mobilizing the power of humanity.
Our shared values underpin our Fundamental Principles:
- People: We aim at building the capacities of vulnerable people and communities to work in solidarity to reduce threats to human lives and dignity and create a better present and future.
- Integrity: We act in accordance with our humanitarian principles and values, and work in open, transparent and accountable ways, without compromising our emblems and the independence, impartiality and neutrality they represent.
- Diversity: We celebrate the diversity of the communities we work with and of our volunteers and staff, our National Societies and our partners, based on non-discrimination and our principle of universality.
- Leadership: We strive to show leadership and excellence in our core areas of work, by drawing attention to humanitarian issues and ensuring quality in the programmes that we carry out.
- Innovation: We value our shared history and tradition, but are equally committed to finding innovative, lasting solutions to new problems that threaten human dignity in a changing society.
The Federation’s values underpin the fundamental principles which guide the work of the entire International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. Our vision and organizational values statement captures the essence of the Red Cross Red Crescent: humanity expressed every day by people working together to protect human dignity and prepare for and cope with situations that threaten their lives and livelihoods.
The values are simple, but extremely powerful. The Federation places greatest value on our people – through them we have global reach. We value integrity and strive for transparency and accountability in all we undertake. We strive for excellence and are judged by our actions. We are open to all and welcome people without discrimination.
Realizing this vision requires strong leadership at every level, from Red Cross Red Crescent leaders in the community to the Federation’s governance and secretariat.
Our principles and values must be the inspiration for everything we do. We must promote them among our network and our partners in order to change mindsets and attitudes.